The course by PTT begins by explaining the importance of protecting the integrity and confidentiality of personal data. The role and relevance of risk analysis and a security policy are then described. The course describes ways of protecting communications networks and databases from intrusion and attack. The use of encryption and digital certificates to protect communications is explained. The various forms of malware are compared and measures to minimise the risk of malware are described. Finally, the course considers the threats to the availability of telecoms services and potential fraudulent misuse of those services, then describes measures that can be taken to reduce the vulnerability to those threats.
- Explain the need to protect information gathered by an organisation about its customers and employees
- Describe the various types of electronic and social engineering attack that threaten the confidentially of personal data
- Describe the role and relevance of risk analysis and a security policy
- Describe the threats to the security of information stored in databases
- Explain methods of ensuring the confidentially, integrity and availability of transmitted and stored data
- Explain the factors that have increased the risk of intrusion in modern networks
- Describe the vulnerabilities of networks attached to the Internet
- Explain methods of protecting networks and the services they provide from intrusion, denial of service and data theft
- Explain the obligations and commercial need of telecoms operators to protect their networks and services from possible threats
- Describe measures that can be taken to improve the resilience of telecoms systems
- Give examples of the ways in which criminals may misuse telecoms services for financial gain
- Explain measures that can be taken to minimise fraud
Type of Certification
Format of Certification
Method of Obtaining Certification
There are two versions of this course, one designed for access on a PC or laptop, the other designed for access on a tablet.
This version requires a PC or laptop running a browser such as Internet Explorer 6 or above, Firefox 2 or above, Google Chrome or Safari is required. The PC should have Internet access and be running Flash version 8 or above. A screen resolution of at least 1024x768 is necessary.
This version of the course is designed for study on a tablet through the learntelecoms™ App which is available for Apple® iPad® and for Android™.
- learntelecoms App for Android: 7in tablet or larger with ARMv7 processor running Android 2.3 or higher
- learntelecoms App for iPad running iOS 6.1 or higher