This course demystifies the complex area of cost control of building projects—from the early design phases, through contract documentation and the tender period, up to the completion of construction. Presenter Steve Grimes outlines the services that Quantity Surveyors provide and also discusses cost planning vs estimating vs preparation of quotations, and the difference between each of these. He looks at the steps involved in the cost planning of a project, when (and how) the advice should be provided, and when to ask questions of your Quantity Surveyor.
Learn more about project cost control by taking this course from Pointsbuild.
Upon completion of this course, you will earn 1 point toward your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training.
- Outline the range of services that a QS can provide
- Explain the difference between an estimate, a quote, a tender and a Cost Plan
- Describe when to use QS services and what information they will need from you and the other consultants
- Outline the best course of action if your project is over budget
- Explain how to present a Cost Plan to your client, particularly if the project is over budget
- Describe some of the common pitfalls in preparing Cost Plans and how to avoid them