Local area networks (LANs) connect together computers and ancillary devices such as printers that are located in the same building or campus. The predominant protocols employed in these LANs are those in the Ethernet suite of standards as devised by the IEEE.
This course by PTT introduces the principles, benefits, components and operation of an Ethernet LAN with reference to the role and capabilities of Ethernet hubs and switches. The topology, components and capabilities of various types of Ethernet LANs are described from 10BASE-T to 10GBASE-LR.
- Describe the role of a local area network (LAN), giving typical applications
- Describe the role of the various bodies responsible for formulating Ethernet standards and the relationship between them
- Describe the role of the MAC protocol used by an Ethernet LAN
- Describe the role and operation of CSMA/CD in allowing devices to share the transmission medium
- Describe and compare the structure and facilities of the various types of Ethernet frame
- Describe the topology and features of Ethernet LANs from 10BASE-T to 10GBASE-LR
- Describe and compare the operation, facilities and limitations of Ethernet hubs and switches
- Describe the role and operation of the "self-learning" facility of an Ethernet switch
- Describe the problems associated with network loops and describe methods of prevention
- Describe the benefits of a Virtual LAN and the significance of class of service indicators
Type of Certification
Format of Certification
Method of Obtaining Certification
There are two versions of this course, one designed for access on a PC or laptop, the other designed for access on a tablet.
This version requires a PC or laptop running a browser such as Internet Explorer 6 or above, Firefox 2 or above, Google Chrome or Safari is required. The PC should have Internet access and be running Flash version 8 or above. A screen resolution of at least 1024x768 is necessary.
This version of the course is designed for study on a tablet through the learntelecoms™ App which is available for Apple® iPad® and for Android™.
- learntelecoms App for Android: 7in tablet or larger with ARMv7 processor running Android 2.3 or higher
- learntelecoms App for iPad running iOS 6.1 or higher